[Jacob-list] Bo-Se - Neal?

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Jun 17 21:28:49 EDT 2011

Thanks for the input. Would you think this ewe had a genetic problem
with selenium utilization if other members of her flock didn't have the
problem? The ewe is an adult, I assume. Has she ever shown signs of
selenium deficiency? infertility? fleece? horns?
Neal - jump in!

Linda
On 6/17/2011 9:02 PM, Laura C Frazier wrote:

> This is what I've heard/read: If the ewe has been selenium deficient

> and not treated ever, then she continues to be more and more deficient

> -- the grass is deficient and the hay from that area is deficient. The

> lamb is not getting the selenium it needs during pregnancy and

> following from the milk. So even if I give shots, they will not make

> up for the deficiency already in place. His muscle gain was not normal

> and since the brain is a muscle, there was some sort of issue there as

> well. This ewe had a lamb like this in her first year, had one of her

> twins die her second year and then had this twin like this. The

> deficiency can affect fertility, fleece, and horns. This lamb went two

> and a half months once the shots were given and I provided a

> mineral/protein block with selenium and loose salt/selenium and was

> only slightly wobbly, but never "normal". If given in amounts way over

> what's needed, it can kill sheep. It does affect goats and cows.

> Laura C Frazier

> FarmGirl Arts

> (336) 971-3834

> Kernersville, NC

> http://FarmGirlArts.com

> http://www.etsy.com/shop/FarmGirlArts

> On Jun 17, 2011, at 7:23 PM, Linda wrote:

>> If the mother is selenium deficient, won't selenium

>> supplements/injections solve that problem? Or is there some genetic

>> problem with utilizing selenium? I'm pretty ignorant about selenium

>> deficiency. I've twice had lambs that could not stand at birth - I

>> did not witness either birth. The first guy (seven years ago) was a

>> guy that I loved on paper before he was born. His birth fleece was

>> darn nice. I took him to the vet for testing and he was not selenium

>> deficient. The vet felt that he had suffered oxygen deprivation

>> during a prolonged birth causing CNS damage. Rocky had periods where

>> I thought he was going to be okay, but the vet said that periods when

>> the lamb can stand and seem normal is common in newborns with cns

>> damage.

>> Are some sheep more prone to selenium deficiency? I don't know, which

>> is why I'm asking.

>> On 6/16/2011 5:01 PM, Laura C Frazier wrote:

>>> Susan,

>>> I just returned from having a lamb born with Selenium deficiency

>>> (White Muscle Disease) euthanized. He was 2 and 1/2 months old. When

>>> born he was wobbly on his back legs but would run and play. His face

>>> was a bit funny looking, too. I gave him, his twin and mother Bo-Se

>>> twice three days apart as soon as I was able to get the Bo-Se. He

>>> did quite well until just two days ago. I'm thinking one of the

>>> other sheep pushed him around some. He went down in his hind legs.

>>> His muscles had not been developing like the others any way. I gave

>>> him another shot of Bo-Se, but saw no improvement. I knew this would

>>> just go on, so I had him put down. His mother is selenium deficient

>>> so I won't be breeding her anymore. Not worth it. His twin is just

>>> fine. I keep a mix of Selenium, Vitamin E and salt out free choice.

>>> My area of North Carolina is one of the most Selenium deficient

>>> areas in the country.

>>> Laura

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>