[Jacob-list] Scrapie Program

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Jun 17 20:03:26 EDT 2011

Had the state vet today for my second inspection for the Complete
Monitored status in the Scrapie program. I was bad and added ewes from
un-enrolled flocks, so I'm back to year one. What was interesting was
that the state vet mentioned that USDA is seriously considering (due to
budget cuts) eliminating the Complete Monitored status. The only status
available will be Export Certified. This requires that you have a
minimum of 30 animals necropsied within a seven year period a long with
a number of other rather stringent requirements.
It was also interesting to hear that Barbados black belly sheep are now
considered by the DNR to be "wild" sheep since they are descendants of
Mouflons and you now need a DNR permit to own them. This is in Georgia

Linda.
--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>