[Jacob-list] Bo-Se

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Jun 17 19:23:06 EDT 2011

If the mother is selenium deficient, won't selenium
supplements/injections solve that problem? Or is there some genetic
problem with utilizing selenium? I'm pretty ignorant about selenium
deficiency. I've twice had lambs that could not stand at birth - I did
not witness either birth. The first guy (seven years ago) was a guy that
I loved on paper before he was born. His birth fleece was darn nice. I
took him to the vet for testing and he was not selenium deficient. The
vet felt that he had suffered oxygen deprivation during a prolonged
birth causing CNS damage. Rocky had periods where I thought he was going
to be okay, but the vet said that periods when the lamb can stand and
seem normal is common in newborns with cns damage.
Are some sheep more prone to selenium deficiency? I don't know, which is
why I'm asking.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>