[Jacob-list] hedgerows

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sun Jan 30 14:52:08 EST 2011

Osage orange will grow here, they are native to the mid-west, I think, and definitely not related to oranges. I know of several large trees.

What we do have are some hardy orange which are shrub like, with green limbs and thorns that are much like saw-briars. P. trifoliata produces small seedy oranges that are tarter than persimmons but may be used for marmalade. I see tangles of them occasionally around 1800 era house-sites. I believe they may be the name source for Orange County NC, home of the UNC Tarheels.

Neal