[Jacob-list] Hedgerows

Johann Kuntz johanndiedrich at msn.com
Sun Jan 30 02:29:35 EST 2011

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I enjoyed reading all the posts. I can see why a hedgerow would have its short comings, but to be honest I am already relying on a lot of natural barriers to keep my sheep contained. Some areas I am able to fence (and I have fenced those areas), but many areas are a fencing nightmare. I would have to clear out lots of native trees and shrubs in order to get fencing into those areas. Also there are a lot of periodic angle changes in the terrain, some of which are very drastic. Almost straight up in a couple of places, but it doesn't stop the sheep. (I live on the edge of a valley).

I had been thinking of using the hedgerow tactic to build upon pre-existing growth in order to fill in the weak spots where the sheep can still get out.

I have had very good success blocking off small gaps in the existing growth with dead branches and organic debris. It also blends in very well with the surroundings as it is all debris taken from the immediate area. Also, I have a large laurel hedge which I'm going to cut down very soon as it hasn't been properly maintained. I have found that the sheep will not try to push their way through the laurel at all as it has a dense growth habit. Therefore I am going to try laying all the cut laurel debris in a line to form a debris fence in one area that has been a big problem. The dense branches will also allow young plants to grow through them while protecting them from browsing and eventually making a living hedgerow on top of the tangle of branches. I thought I would let native stuff fill in the area as it will probably volunteer to do, and I can help it along by planting some shrubs that I already know grow in my area with out becoming invasive. Some of you have made the very valid point that it may not be predator proof, but I have not had any predator issues with my sheep. My purpose is really just to keep them from getting into neighbor's yards.

I guess ultimately I'm in an experimental phase, so I appreciate all criticism and feed back while I see if I can make this work for my situation.

Thanks everybody,
Johann

p.s. Regarding roses, I am considering planting a climbing peace rose amongst the laurel debris to tangle it's way through. I think it would be beautiful, and I know for a fact that it's not invasive. It won't even set rose hips here. :(