[Jacob-list] wool eating

Lorraine Nielsen fourwinds at gotsky.com
Sat Feb 26 12:15:31 EST 2011

Jacob sheep folk--

I'm looking for possibilities I haven't considered regarding my Jacob
sheep eating each others' wool, which is a new phenomenon this year and is
widespread (not just one or two sheep). It's an especially cold and snowy
winter, but aside from that I haven't been able to isolate the cause. I
understand that nutrition can be a factor. We have had to change hay
sources, but our sheep do get minerals. Sheep check free of
worms/parasites. Stress is listed as a factor, also. The only connections
there I can think of are the colder winter and the fact that there are
more sheep in the same shed space at night (lambs we've kept). Is there
something I'm not thinking of? What are ways to discourage/prevent that
you've found helpful?

Lorraine

Lorraine Nielsen
Shear Bliss, Four Winds Farm