[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection ofJacobBreeding Stock"

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Aug 12 19:06:17 EDT 2011

I breed giving markings a high priority, but don't cull white legged
animals on that trait alone. I don't like all white hooves, but have a
number of ewes with white legs and feet - but colored or striped hooves.
I've had some darn nice freckled ewes (and still do). I won't cull a
good ewe for freckles same as I won't cull a good ewe for white legs.
One of the most freckled ewes I've ever had exhibited NO leg or feet
markings at all. One of my ewes with lots of leg flash has no freckles.
Another ewe with lots of flash has lots of freckles. 4Horn Farms Dune,
who has lots of flash, is not freckled.
I'm agreeing that breeding for leg markings does not necessarily lead to
freckling, but also wondering if we really want to cull some excellent
ewes because of freckling.

Linda .

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>