[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of JacobBreeding Stock"

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Fri Aug 12 12:29:28 EDT 2011

There are a lot of things in the guidebook that will be helpful to our newcomers, but I must say I am very disappointed that most of the sheep in it had white legs and the ones with black muzzles, knee spots and black feet had negative comments with them about freckling and other things.
While white legs and pigmented muzzles are perfectly acceptable I prefer the black muzzles, knee and hock spots and black feet.
That is what the early imports had and my flock is mostly marked that way because I like those markings. I like them because no other country has Jacobs with the knee and hock spots and they make our American Jacob different along with it's primitive characteristics.
All four of my current breeding rams have the leg markings and all are freckle free. My ewes are freckle free also with the exception of some of the spots that occur with age and do not carry into the fleece. It is not difficult to breed Jacobs with leg markings and no freckling. It is just a matter of selection.
I would hate to see the new comers interpret the guide to breed away from the leg markings when they were what the early imports that came through the Chicago Zoo and from South Africa had and we are the only country breeding Jacobs with the leg markings.
I don't know how much longer I will be able to continue to raise Jacobs, but I hope there will be others that will step forward and preserve the Jacobs with the leg markings and black muzzles.