[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob Breeding Stock"

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 08:21:30 EDT 2011

I too received my booklet in the mail last week. In reviewing the guide, it appears that a great deal of work went into the development of this work and I say thank you to all that contributed.

I would hope all breeders take into consideration that a guide is simply that - a guide. It provides information. At the bottom of page 3, second column and in bold print reads "The document is in no way intended as anything but a guide". I hope readers take note of that important statement. Furthermore, I hope that this booklet of information does not cause breeders to use it as a set in stone example simply for choosing the "look" of an animal while discarding the genetic value of the animal as a whole. I have enjoyed ALL the discussion thus far about its pros and cons and understand/share some of the concerns Peg (and others) have expressed in choosing animals based upon certain traits, such as horn number, marking or some other individual trait. As for the cover, I too would have enjoyed seeing both ram and ewe, 2 horn and 4 horn on the cover. In my opinion, a "head shot" alone does tend to send the message that four horns are preferred, rare trait or not. The phrase "ideal horns and coloring" are a little misleading to me simply because the photo only shows the head of the animal. It does not show the ram's body, color pattern, conformation etc. as some of the others photos within the pages of the guide do. But, like the old saying goes, "You can't please all the people all the time." :)

Personal experience has shown me that often times the publishing of "guides" sometimes brings a concrete, almost cookie cutter approach to trait selection. I also feel this was not the intent of this particular publication. Again, a guide is a guide is a guide. In my opinion, I feel Jacob sheep breeders would do best for the breed to avoid that cookie cutter approach of selecting one or two specific traits to concentrate on. The breed as a whole offers a unique diversity of usefulness in a variety of environments. Jacob sheep seem to thrive wherever they are, whether it be the harsh cold of Canada to the dry, hot areas of Texas and every where in between. Not many sheep breeds are as versatile as the Jacob!

As with any breed of livestock, we all should frequently examine and then re-examine our individual efforts in conserving the Jacob sheep. I should point out that, once livestock breeders begin to select and breed for one or two specific traits, then our efforts have shifted from true conservation efforts to an improvement breeding approach. That, in itself, can be detrimental to any breed of livestock and, left unchecked, can result in some pretty disastrous consequences. No single registry, group or individual breeder is immune from its effects and we should never solely depend on a single registry, group or individual breeder to keep this in check. We are human and, by past history, that alone shows we have a tendency to mess things up.

That said, I would recommend an additional reading of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy book entitled A Conservation Breeding Handbook by Carolyn Christman and D. Phillip Sponenberg. HINT: You can read the first chapter from the ALBC store for free via their website store before deciding to buy. This book is a short read, easy to understand and offers valuable information about the conservation of heritage breeds of livestock. I particularly like the written comparisons of conservation vs. improvement breeding programs as shown in Chapter 2. It outlines the pro's and cons of each and is not species specific (i.e. it is the same approach if you are breeding sheep, cattle, poultry, etc.). Chapter 3 has very good information about positive and negative selections along with details on selection intensity. If nothing else, it too is a guide that provides valuable information for any breeder to consider when developing his/her farm goals and long term plans for the animals they raise and their individual breeding program.

Just my two cents worth,

Cheryl Terrano

http://www.paintedrockfarm.com

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)