[Jacob-list] Newbie Question

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Mon Aug 1 12:12:09 EDT 2011

I have been busy with elderly relatives and have not had a chance to
respond, but here is my two cents worth.
I was reading more and more from animal rights groups back in the early
nineties and was getting concerned that docking may become illegal in
the US. In the years since then, I have decided that my concern was not
warranted and that the law will not tell us how to dock in my lifetime.
But, that concern led me to experiment and I have not docked for a
number of years. I also have not had any problem with not docking.
When my neighbor saw that I was not docking, she also decided to not
dock her flock of commercial white sheep. Her experiment did not turn
out so well. Her sheep had longer fleece and she ended up with very
messy, manure laden tails. She never had a problem with flies or
maggots, but it was probably just a matter of time. She now docks, I
still do not. We live in mid-Missouri.
I guess the lesson is that geographic location and type of sheep are
very important in making this decision.
Mark Essen