[Jacob-list] Diatomacious Earth - was Red Ants

SovreignFarms at aol.com SovreignFarms at aol.com
Sun Apr 24 13:45:26 EDT 2011

Hello everyone

As mentioned in a previous post.....we too use diatomacious earth
everywhere on this farm and have for years. When our veterinarian highly
recommended it as a control for internal parasites in sheep, goats, and cows with no
side effects, we were all ears. The added bonus of killing insects just
about anywhere they are a problem was frosting on the cake. Here is the source
we use...Earthworks Health. I've included a link to their site as well as
a youtube video where you can learn more. Important point, *****You must
use food grade DE, none of the other products is safe*****.
_www.earthworkshealth.com_ (http://www.earthworkshealth.com)
_www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn6GSHNzBE_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn6GSHNzBE)

Those of us trying to do things as organically as possible truly
appreciate the value of this product. Especially in Florida the capital of insects.
Our wet climate is a challenge, but this is one of the best products ever
in our opinion. As discussed previously it works perfectly to kill off
ants. I suspect it kills them all off in the nest as the enter and exit, as we
have had not problem with the hills moving elsewhere. If you use Amdro or
the like for ants, the nest does indeed move a few feet and set up
elsewhere. Since this is an organic substance they do not view it as a problem,
stay and die off.

I sprinkle this from an old shaker bottle on my two Great Pyrenees too,
and seldom do you ever find anything in the way of an insect on them and it
can be licked by the dog and is harmless.

We routinely mix this with our powdered sheep mineral as a way to control
internal parasites as well, just as the local goat and cow farms have been
doing for a long time. It has worked very well for us. We have followed
this since our veterinarian started using it on a dairy herd of cows. This
herd wanted to become a certified organic herd with their cows and they
could not use chemicals to treat the cows at all. I have visited this herd
just to see how they do things, and these cows are the picture of health.
They do no have the udder infections of other dairies and these cows are
milking to much older ages than other dairies. On other farms a 3 or 4 yr old
cow is often sold off due to mastitis they can not cure.

Here is the most helpful hint of all!! When we visited the dairy I was
impressed that all the watering areas were immaculately clean and there was
no green slime anywhere in the water. A novel thing that caught my
attention immediately, as I am sure you all spend your time bleaching watering
troughs just like I do every week to keep them clean. I asked what army they
used to keep all this water clean, and they laughed and told me they use DE
mixed in the water! A cupful in each watering trough is mixed in with
each water change. (I only have to use a 1/2 per my water tubs which are much
smaller than what they use for the cows.) It lasts, keeping the water
purified. Much less work for everyone on the farm, and the cows have gleaming
coats. It is my understanding from a local lady who spins fleece from her
Angora goats that her fleeces are gorgeous using this product with her
goats. She maintains that the goats not having a huge parasite burden they
grow stronger fleece and have more length to it. I mix a little of it in
with my chicken feed too, it both naturally worms them and the hens have nice
hard shelled eggs.

The cheapest way to buy this is the 50# bag. It lasts a long time and we
use it everywhere, even in the garden sprinkled on the plants. It costs
nearly as much to ship a 50# bag as to buy it in the first place, but to us
its cheap at the price as it has so many uses and we get a year and a half
out of a bag. Keep it in a metal trash can and don't store anywhere it could
get damp.

Sharon Lehrke
Sovreign Farms, FL

In a message dated 4/24/2011 11:42:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,