[Jacob-list] Sick pregnant yearling ewe

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Mon Apr 4 18:42:14 EDT 2011

On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Jeff Bourget wrote:

> This yearling now, turned one this month...has a history of eating

> to fast and after grain from time to time i could see her straining

> with it but she would always be alright after a few minutes. as if

> she just needed to breathe while she was eating wich im sure she

> never does. All my other sheep tend to leave the grain when they

> had their fill leaving the ram to finish it up.

Hi Jeff. I hope things turn out OK with your ewe.

Meanwhile, if anything, I err on the side of 'undergraining' our
Jacobs. They are a hardy breed and yes, I've been urged (and have
started to) feed a little bit of grain at the end of their
pregnancies and starting lactation. So what you wrote leaves me
wondering if you're feeding too much grain, if your other sheep will
walk away "when they have had their fill". It's my practice to
provide our Jacobs with good hay or pasture, clean water, and shelter
when they wish.

Good luck.

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org