[Jacob-list] How much to feed bottle-fed lambs?

stockdogs stockdogs at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 11:47:19 EDT 2011

I've had great succ ess with bottle lambs  using the following recipe:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5564414_make-milk-replacer-lambs-kids.html

It works better for me to pour out 3.5-4 cups of the whole milk to make enough room for the rest of the ingredients.  Make sure to use whole milk and Bulgarian buttermilk if you can find it as it is higher fat.  I feed it slightly warmed (tepid).  The baking soda is added as needed at the rate of 1/8 tsp. per 12 oz.  but I've not needed it.

I start with 4-6 oz. every 5-6 hours with a last feeding around 10:00-11:00 at night and that gets them through to 7:00 in the morning.

I've tasted it and it's quite good.  The lambs love it and the dogs think it's a great treat plus it's a whole lot cheaper than buying the powdered milk replacer at the feed store.

Good luck!

Sally

Message: 1