[Jacob-list] Primitive/ Improved Discussion

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Tue Sep 28 20:00:56 EDT 2010

That makes sense to me. It's my breeding plan.
I was told years ago that using a two horned ram on forward horned ewes
would help to set the horns back. I did it backwards by using a forward
horned ram on a two horned ewe. Got great horns on that one cross. Like
alot of breeders, I've seen SUED on lambs with one two horned parent.
What I'm uncertain about is the claim that using a two horned ram on
four horned ewe with weak laterals will give you a better chance of
getting good laterals on ewe lambs. I've heard this, but haven't seen it
as I haven't kept or bred ewes with weak laterals (my personal
preference for my small flock) for many years and they didn't mesh with
the year I used a 2 horned ram (lovely boy - all his ewe lambs were four
horned and all his ram lambs were two horned).
I prefer 4 horned sheep, but I love the look of a spectacular 2 horned
Jacob. I do hear often that you can't sell a two horned Jacob, but just
haven't seen it if the two horned are good quality. Good 2 horned Jacobs
stand on their own. They do not need to be sold as something to 'help' 4
horned sheep in relation to horns.
http://patchworkfibers.com/rocky.jpg

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>