[Jacob-list] Question......

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 00:28:01 EDT 2010

Part of what makes a jacob a jacob are all of the traits you can't see.  Good
mothering ability, good foraging ability, hardiness, few lambing problems,
overall they 'need' little intervention from us.  There are few modern breeds of
sheep that can do this.  There are known lines of suffolk show sheep that have
sterility issues and they still continue to breed them because they 'win' in the
show ring - this is just one example of many.  We used to have a commercial
flock of sheep, we quickly realized how much more work they were vs. our flock
of jacobs.  We sold them and increased our flock of jacobs.  I am flexible in
the 'looks' department of our sheep - I love the diversity - however I am not
flexible in the mothering ability and hardiness department.  You can not judge
those qualities in a show ring.  I look forward to reading other's input.

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
www.kenleigh-acres.com
That'll Do Photography