[Jacob-list] Ram Behavior

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Tue Oct 26 09:02:15 EDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 1:09 PM, TODD HEINS wrote:

> I'm hoping to get some input on Ram behavior. I'm new to breeding

> sheep and have purchased a Jacob ram. I have 2 horses, 1 pony, 5

> Jacob ewes, 2 Jacob wethers and my Jacob ram in a pasture. Since I

> have let the ram loose with the rest of the flock, they no longer

> come in to the barn area. The Ram keeps the flock out to pasture

> and will not let them come in.

Hi Todd,

I wonder if you've just recently turned the ram out with the ewes? It
is breeding season in the northern hemisphere, and I've noticed our
ram behaving differently, displaying more interest and ownership of
the ewes, during this season. Our Jacobs don't come into the barn
unless lured or forced to anyway. Is there water available to them at
all times? Might they be coming for water when you aren't around?

I have horses turned out with our Jacobs as well and have had no
trouble. In fact, with our last ram, when he wasn't preoccupied with
breeding, he spent more time with the horses than with the ewes,
especially was fond of one of the mares.

If this behavior doesn't change when the girls are all bred, then a
different strategy might be needed. Like inviting your friends over
to practice herding sheep. :-)

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org