[Jacob-list] Ram stories (long version)

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 8 23:50:37 EDT 2010

Cathy,
I would love to hear your other "hit by the ram" stories. I'm sure they
would be entertaining, and maybe you can teach us something from them as
well.
Johann
======
OK, there are two pretty good stories, all having to do with my 2-horn ram
named Ramington Steele. One winter we had some deep snow. The ram was in
a paddock and the gate was a tube gate that hung on hinges. After I fed
the sheep I turned to walk away and then BAM! Right in the rear (just like
previous story). Apparently he had lifted the gate off the hinges with his
horns and got out. All our gates are reinforced with chains now. This
time I flew straight up in the air and when I came down I landed in the
snow next to the ram and my arm draped over his neck. My fall was
cushioned by the snow. So there I am, stunned... sitting next to the ram
with my arm around him. Looks like a Hallmark moment where we are two
buddies enjoying the view. He just stood there, glad he didn't swing his
head and knock me out! We sat there for awhile, I was still stunned and
wondering what to do next. Finally, I quickly reached over, grabbed his
horns and stood up. Then he started to fight me a little, not bad. I was
able to get him back in the pen and put the gate in place. I was lucky
that time.

Another time, the sheep got out of the pasture when a tree fell over the
fence. They were running back and forth along the outer fence line like
they were saying "Look at us, we're free!!" I guess I wasn't thinking
clearly because my first thought was that the ram with the two massive
horns would soon be headed to the neighbors where he would ram them to
death. So I walked out in the pasture and waved my arms and yelled out the
ram's name. He saw me and started towards me with the herd of ewes
following behind. Then he started to run down the hill toward me. I am
thinking "crap, this is going to hurt" and I got into a position like a
football tackle, bent over with my arms out ready to grab his horns as he
runs at me. He is tearing down the hill as fast as he can run. I know I
am going to get hurt. Then a miracle happened. He stopped suddenly about
10 feet from me and then sprinted at me at a slow pace. I was able to grab
his horns and walk him to another pasture. I don't recommend catching rams
that way. I was very lucky. I don't know why he stopped 10 feet from me,
but I am so glad he did.

Ramington lived to be 13 and I vowed never to have an aggressive ram again.

That's all for now.... I have learned a lot and don't get hit anymore.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho