[Jacob-list] Stomping at rams

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:54:25 EDT 2010

Hi all!
I have only personally owned two rams that I have had aggression problems
with, and both of them where "tame." As a shearer though I have had to deal
with quite a few other peoples "pets." The only benefit to tame rams is that
you can walk right up to them if you need to handle them for any reason, and
I don't think that that outweighs the costs. I learned pretty quick that I
didn't want tame rams anymore. Trained ok, tame no.
One of the things I would do was break up fights between rams. This put me
on top. If a bad fight broke out, I would bust in there making as big a deal
as possible, whacking them across the backs with my favorite ram stick to
get their attention. As soon as the fight was broke up, I'd give them a
good chase until they quit trying to turn on me or kill each other! Had a
lot less problems after I started doing that, but it is dangerous. Mind you
though, I had problem sheep to fix, once they where gone, I didn't go in
that pen unless I thought that the rams where going to cause severe bodily
harm to one another, plus once they where trained I could usually just yell
out the back door, and they'd stop.They're smarter than people give them
credit for... and if nothing else they understand pecking order!
I don't remember who said it earlier, but knowing and respecting your rams
is THE most important thing to remember when handling them. They're not
dogs, they're rams, and they perceive things much differently. I would say
watch out placing your hand on the rump. A truly dominant ram will turn on
you, and try to take your knees out. I would say use caution stomping as
well, once again for *truly naughty *rams you better have a back up plan
that's all I can say. Be careful if you whack them on the head too. If you
miss your target, and hit an eye, its a good way to blind him, and keep in
mind that jaws are very fragile. I had one of my tame rams attack me when I
brought him up to doctor him. I let my guard down while getting out the
meds, and he knocked me down. I gave him a good swack to the face with my
crook to keep him off, but ended up knocking him in the eye. He was
partially blind after that, and it wouldn't have even happened if I would
have followed my own protocols.

Also, I'm going to agree with Robin. The less handling other than halter
breaking the better. I think the most terrifying thing I have ever seen
was one of my friends Hamp rams. He was a prior show sheep, and
"pet." Whenever you walked by his gate he would bash it with all his might
because,"he wanted to be petted." He had nearly destroyed his heavy duty
gate, and at 5 years old, well over 450lbs, and a record of killing two
other rams, he was a liability. You absolutely couldn't handle him without
putting your life at risk, and the sad thing is that that kind of
behavior towards humans is preventable.

This year I'm leasing a ram to use on my commercial ewes, and so far I have
just resorted to using a leg hook to catch him for his paint. It's nice to
be able to catch him while he is facing away from me... a preferable
direction in my eyes! I don't want or need a ram that will walk up to me.
I'm just hoping that the yearling I purchase next year will have the same
keep clear attitude! I can promise you, if he doesn't he won't stay long.

I guess in summary, I would say:

>No fix is permanent, and no action is a fixall, try combinations of

different assertive behaviours to keep your rams submissive, and know your
rams.

>Most ram problems are created, and those that are born nasty need to to be

in the freezer.

>Keep unnecessary handling to a minimum.

>Carry a good stick... and if all else fails it probably wouldn't hurt to be

a decent fence climber as well! :)

Hope that's helpful,

Lynette
Four Points Shearing & Sheep Co.