[Jacob-list] foot stomping

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed Oct 6 18:34:53 EDT 2010

Perhaps the word should be respectful rather than afraid. The rams (and
ewes, too) that are afraid of people to the point of overwhelming panic
are the ones that scare me - the ones that will about kill themselves
trying to go over/through a fence rather than get near you and then
decide going through you is the best escape route. As Neal mentioned, a
panicked animal can really do some damage.
A halter broken ram does not necessarily want you to touch him, but he
won't freak out when you do. Dave is a great help to me when handling
rams, but he's not always here when I need help. Having a ram that will
stand tied really makes my life easier. I don't like the slip halters,
probably because I never can get them adjusted correctly and I am so
clumsy I end up with the halter around the top horns and my arm (or my
neck) . I use the llama halters that buckle. I hold the sheep next to a
fence or a barn wall with my leg holding his neck up to the fence and
then buckle the halter. It's easier than it sounds.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>