[Jacob-list] post from yahoo list

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Thu Nov 11 07:21:18 EST 2010

Very interesting post, Sharon. Thanks for giving me alot to think about.
I've had lilac Jacobs for 14 years. I have had very few blue lilacs -
mine are chocolate.
A big problem in determining lilac inheritance factors is that JSBA
doesn't really define lilac as anything more than 'not black'. So what
is called lilac can be anything from a poor black, to an actual slate
blue lilac, to a true chocolate lilac. My definition criteria for a
lilac includes that they breed true....lilac + lilac = lilac.

In my observations, you lose muzzle/eye pigment when you breed animals
lacking muzzle/eye pigment - regardless of what color they are.
Early graying is a problem that is not confined to lilacs. I admit to
having a hard time getting good retention on both my blacks and my lilacs.
Horns? I haven't seen a lack of horn quality on my lilacs, but I am
pretty fussy about strong horns, so don't use sheep with weak horns. I
believe the horn issue is more related to horn genetics than color
genetics, but that's just my opinion.
I have heard it said that freckled Jacobs tend to have better color
retention and I'd say that was probably true 10 years ago. I've seen
some fantastic black wool on unfreckled sheep in the last 3 or 4 years
(not in my flock - still working on that!)
I don't know of many lilac Jacobs that are more than two or three
generations of only lilacs.It would be interesting if someone that has
would respond to with their experiences. My most concentrated lilac is
third generation on the bottom, but only second on the top. I've bred
five lilac ewes to a lilac ram this year. The ram has excellent markings
- lots of flash. Three of his ewes have pigment only muzzles. It will be
interesting to see if he can put a muzzle patch on their lambs.

Thanks,
Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>