[Jacob-list] Outcast ewe

Black Sheep westergladstone at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 3 20:09:27 EDT 2010

I don't think it's so much that there is something different about the ewe or wether, but that you have introduced a single animal into an already established group. This doesn't work. Better to use Pegs method of penning the newcomer closely with the alpha animal in the group - once it is accepted by the alpha, it will be accepted by all - bar a little chasing around. Ewes are less likely to kill it than males. Another possibility is to pen them all closely for a night then put out some interesting food for them when they are released to distract them.
It must be extremely stressful for the introduced sheep to be alone and rejected. We bought a single ewe this year and had to isolate her for a week because of conjunctivitis, but she was surrounded by other sheep, so when she was finally released from the isolation pen, she was accepted straight away by the other ewes (it wasn't very good isolation so they had touched noses before). But she hated being on her own in the isolation paddock - what a noise !
Juliet
www.scothebs.co.uk