[Jacob-list] Outcast ewe

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 3 01:26:41 EDT 2010

>Three of the 5 ewes are really aggressive towards her

>- and one of them is her mother. I don't quite understand why the three

>ewes are so intolerant of her. She's a very timid ewe (around other

>sheep - friendly with people) and it might be that she just doesn't

>stand up for herself. Any suggestions?

>Linda

=======
Hi Linda,
Reminds me of a similar situation, except these are two adult wethers,
two castrated rams, and a ram. I had an 'outcast wether'. A lady brought
back a two-yr-old wether that she had raised as a bottle-baby. The 'boys'
were very aggressive towards this wether. He was timid too, perhaps from
being a bottle baby and raised around humans. A human analogy would be
like putting a gay guy in with a bunch of skin heads. I realized that they
wouldn't accept this new addition so I planned to take him to the butchers.
Then one day I came home and he was lying dead in the paddock. Murdered!!
I think I know who did it, he seemed to be the most aggressive towards this
sheep. It wasn't the ram or castrated rams, it was one of the adult
wethers. At least I think I know who did it, but I wasn't there. Maybe
they all ganged up on him. Looked like a broken neck and death had been
recent so I was able to quickly take him to the butchers and save the meat.
I will never put a bottle-baby wether in with rams/wethers again.

Hope this doesn't happen in your case. Maybe ewes aren't murderers. I
think in my case, the other sheep could sense that there was something very
different about this wether. Being a bottle baby and in close contact with
humans made him different. In your case, I don't know why the ewes are
aggressive towards the one ewe. I just hope it doesn't end up tragically.
I am interested in finding out what happens. Could ewes act the same way
as these rams/wethers??

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho