[Jacob-list] selling some sheep

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 1 16:26:33 EDT 2010

I would like to sell a number of my JSBA registered Jacob flock. I have 8
sheep priced individually as bred ewes and a ram, (between $150 and $300
each) but will also consider selling the whole group for a discount.

They range in age from a 2010 ewe lamb to an older ewe of about 9. I cull
for bad mothering, udder issues and excessive escaping so these girls should
be pretty trouble free, although triplets can be an issue. I have had very
few birthing issues at all with them in 13 years of breeding. My oldest
started looking thin this summer but when we sold her lambs, she fattened
right back up.

A couple have better fleeces than others, some have better horns, some have
had triplets, all have had twins, except the 2 youngest, a yearling and
lamb. My original flock of 3 ewes and a ram came from Deb Yeagle in 1997
and were largely Fieldwood, HardyHill, Smokeham, Tranquil background. We
added rams through the years but not ewes from Spahr Farm, Hatch and a
couple FF rams from unregistered flocks. All but the 2010 ewe are 4 horned,
but some have weaker or broken off side horns. Some ewes are lilac or carry
lilac, but the ram does not. My almost two year old ram is halter broke and
calm and has not been destructive to fences/buildings or aggressive towards
people and is not related to the ewes, other than his 2010 daughter. I
picked him up as a lamb at last year's AGM - Summerhill Dennis. His 2010
lambs looked excellent overall with this group of ewes. I can tie him and
shear him by hand and he is the best behaved sheep I've ever shorn this way.
I chose him for his excellent fleece characteristics and sweet temperament.
His horns are close but not bad and he mostly produces better horns than he
has.

Jacobs are an attractive, fun and relatively low maintenance breed and
produce good wool as well as meat and interesting pelts too. I've really
enjoyed breeding and owning them, but want to focus more on my Icelandic
flock with the limited space that I have.

Email me directly for pictures, prices, breeding records, other questions.
hettick1 at yahoo.com or hettick.1 at osu.edu

I'm in Ohio, about an hour South of Cleveland.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com