[Jacob-list] . Ram lamb into ram flock

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 23:32:59 EDT 2010

Hi, I'm getting conflicting information regarding how to integrate my 3
month old ram lamb into my ram flock, which now contains a 2 year old ram,
a 1 year old ram, and a 1 year old wether. Some say I can just put him in
with the rams, and they will not bother with him since he is not sexually
mature. Someone else told me to mix the ram flock with the 6 ewes and their
lambs (4 lambs total, 1 ram, 2 wethers, 1 ewe, all 1.5 to 3 months old) and
the rams will ignore the ram lamb as well as the other lambs as they will
be interested in the ewes. My plan would be to mix everyone together soon,
let them all get aquainted, then separate the rams (and probably the
wethers) from the ewes by the end of July to prevent any early breeding.
Will this work? I don't want my lambs to be injured, and I've seen how hard
rams can fight, even after 3 days in the crowded pen... Any other ideas?
=========
I separate my 3 month-old ram lambs/wethers from the ewes and place them in
the ram/wether paddock. There are rams/castrated rams/wethers of all ages;
although now there is just one ram. There has never been a problem, except
in feeding, the older "boys" hog the food and push the younger ones away.
It is difficult to make sure the smaller lambs get enough to eat so they
can continue to grow. If there is a lot of forage, no problem. Other than
that, there are no other problems. The older boys accept the younger
ram/wether lambs and everyone lives happily ever after.

I read and heard that ram lambs can breed as young as 3-months, but usually
around 5-months. To be safe, I get them away from the ewes at 3-months.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho