[Jacob-list] baking soda

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri May 21 15:00:48 EDT 2010

>I never heard of feeding sheep baking soda. Probably that's what I get

>for learning about sheep at university instead of over the internet. I

>really can't see how it would help prevent bloat as mixing baking soda

>with acid produces gas and how would you tell if it did? I've run 40 to

>100 crossbred ewes for 35 years, sometimes on straight alfalfa and only

>had one case of bloat, with out baking soda

========
Similar situation here. I have 20 sheep, 3 goats, a llama, and now an
alpaca, and had only one case of bloat in the last 13 years. The ewe
bloated after eating spring grass, none of the other ewes had problems.
She yelled and hollered in pain and had her side sticking out (rumen side,
right or left? I forgot).. Sure was easy to tell what the problem was. I
gave her the baking soda/water/mineral oil treatment, walked her around for
awhile and she was fine. We don't feed a lot of grain. There is some corn
in the Purina All-Stock pellet feed that the ewes get along with hay and
forage. I just don't see a bloat problem in our flock.

Baking soda is used to neutralize the rumen acids (acts as an antacid),
mineral oil coats the innards and also helps relieve the gas. I was buying
a ruminant antacid/laxative called Carmelax but it cost $25 a pound. I
found out that Milk of Magnesia has the same ingredient, magnesium
hydroxide, and it is much cheaper. I have used that when the ewe doesn't
feel good and the diagnosis of the problem isn't known yet. The magnesium
component would also aid if a sheep has grass tetany from eating a lot of
new grass, early in the spring. Never had a problem with that..

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho
I probably bloat more than the sheep!!