[Jacob-list] Baking soda overdose?

Johann Kuntz johanndiedrich at msn.com
Wed May 19 20:09:11 EDT 2010

Linda,

I keep a salt lick for my sheep, but to be honest the ram didn't have access to it for sometime before he was shorn. Your speculation makes a lot of sense. He may have been craving salt. I'll have to make sure he has regular access to the salt lick in the future.

I'm not sure I know all the reasons for offering baking soda, but I know it can help to balance the ph of their stomach if it becomes too acidic. However, I thought they would only eat it if they really needed it.

On a side note, when I offered the baking soda to my ewes and lambs at an earlier date, they made quick work of it too. However, they finished it off in a few days (between two ewes and three lambs) rather than a few minutes. I'm not sure why they liked it so much. They have had regular access to the salt lick, so it can't be the salt craving for them can it? None of them got sick from it either.

Johann