[Jacob-list] lgds and llamas

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun May 9 18:52:11 EDT 2010

I've heard the same about the efficiency of llamas. We sold our donkeys
when the drought was so bad. The pasture I am leasing came with a Pyr.
He was born in a pasture with goats and has never been handled except to
corral him and move him here. We had to dope him to give him a rabies
shot. He was with the previous goats while they were kidding and has
been fine. He's fine with my adult sheep. When I put some lambs in, he
chased them - biting at them. The second time I tried lambs, he happed
to run by me chasing a lamb while I had a bag of dog food in my hand and
I bopped him on the nose. He's been wonderful with the lambs ever since.
This morning I found a lamb with a serious wound on his upper front leg
showing an obvious tooth puncture. The dog is either 7 or 8 (the owner
doesn't remember how old he was when she got him 5 years ago) and has
been with goats his entire life. We don't hear coyotes often around
here, but last night we did. Since you mention losses with older dogs,
is this dog what you'd consider older? He seems in good health and is
active. I am assuming he is the culprit that attacked the lamb, but
perhaps not.

Linda
.

--