[Jacob-list] Jacob Market Lambs

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Fri May 7 11:53:10 EDT 2010

As most of you know, I am an Extension Agent for CSU. I am keeping a 4Hers sheep at my place (she lives in Denver) and she has handspinning sheep.

We talked, and she wanted something diffrent than the run of the mill Black face market lamb, and asked me if she could buy a Jacob to try.

I did some inquirys, and the Jacobs would qualify for the lighter weight minimum (75 lbs instead of 90 lbs), and would be permitted to still have their horns.

SO here we go.. i actually gave her a few lambs, and am letting her keep the best 2 for feeding my other 3 in the same pen.

They are all Feb Lambs. At Weigh in last weekend they ranged from 36 to 42 lbs. They are still all rams (not been castrated yet)

Our Fair is the first week in August.

I think they will make weight if she pushed them on feed and keeps them fit and not fat.

She already has them halter broke and is starting to walk them.

She is treating them just like she would a club lamb type.

Has anyone done this? She knows she ont have the style sheep to win a class, but wants to have fun with it, and I thik it will be cool...

Any Insight?

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
www.MooseMtnRanch.com