[Jacob-list] horn growth, and gestation

Lorraine Nielsen fourwinds at gotsky.com
Fri May 7 11:08:01 EDT 2010

I have a 2-week-old ewe lamb that I have yet to see or feel horn buds on.
Is this within "normal"? Her twin ram has definite buds for 2 horns,
though they aren't yet sticking up much. Also, I had a second-time lamber
give birth at 138 days, or less (the 138 would be if she were mounted that
first day, which I don't think she was). Both ewe and ram lambs were 7
pounds and seem quite healthy, other than a little more unsteady on their
long legs the first day than others we've had. Is the gestation range for
Jacobs wider than other breeds? Or do individuals vary that much?

Lorraine

Lorraine Nielsen
Shear Bliss, Four Winds Farm
www.fourwindswool.com