[Jacob-list] Docking tails & dirty backsides - thanks for the input

Jaci Siehl sugarpinejacobs at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 13:37:53 EDT 2010

This has been an interesting discussion......

After all the discussions, I did a closer inspection of my two ewes with the longer tails.

There is some staining along the edges of the tail and where that part of the tail lays against their butt.  They are both healthy and have never had diarrhea.  We don't have any pasture so they are fed twice daily with grassy alfalfa.

I did watch them closely and neither one lifts her tail completely out of the way when urinating.  I am confident it is not a health issue - but more likely an "owner" issue - the dirt/stain just seems to stand out more on these than on my other ewes.

Up until this past weekend it has been cool and rainy but all of a sudden Spring showed up and it will soon be 90+ so even if I decide to dock them, I will have to wait until Fall.

Thanks again for everyone's input and insight.

Jaci Siehl
Sugarpine Jacobs
530-538-9474