[Jacob-list] fly strike

Brenda brenda at brenalanfarm.com
Tue May 4 10:32:47 EDT 2010

Since this topic is including frequent mentions of fly strike... we just had our first case last year (docked sheep, slightly poopy rear from lush grass in spring but not real bad). I hope we NEVER NEVER NEVER have it again. We sheared the ewe immediately so those maggots couldn't hide in nearby fleece and did lots of wound cleaning. We had some diatomaceous earth on hand, and used that a couple times a day. It really helped a lot- the maggots would writhe and drop off the sheep when the DE coated them. The sheep got cellulitis in the wound, and I think went septic. Add antibiotics to wound care and DE. I have never seen a sicker sheep live and she is about to have her first lamb. So all's well whose (hind) end is well!

Brenda