[Jacob-list] Docking tails on adult sheep

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon May 3 21:37:48 EDT 2010

Like Royal, I too do not like tails on my Jacobs. There are only 2 sheep here with tails, both were brought in several years ago as adults from the Culloden flock. Twig and Birch are mother and daughter. Twig is more primitive in her build and has a thinner tail, while Birch is built larger, like her sires line (Fieldwood). As much as I dislike tails on my sheep, I have yet to band either of these two adults. I would not dock Birch's tail myself. It is a larger, thicker tail and she does manage it herself rather well. Twig's tail is much thinner and, if I were to choose, it would her tail to dock. I don't know, maybe its her age or maybe I'm soft towards the old gal but I don't feel right about banding Twig's tail, despite my extreme dislike of sheep tails. For them, I make an exception without hesitation.

Now, I have banded tails on adult sheep with success and little (if any) discomfort noted by the animal. One sheep in particular had a longer tail (just past hock length). The tail was really thin and honestly, it disgusted me to see it, especially after shearing time. Aside from Twig and Birch, I get the same feeling with any sheep having a tail. I know, its weird and some folks are quite the opposite and feel very strongly against tail docking. Anyway, the 2nd shearing that sheep was here, I banded that tail. I did not use any local numbing. I saw her wiggling the tail a bit more often for half an hour but she never stopped eating hay and never showed any signs that it really bothered her. The tail fell off after about 2 1/2 weeks. It was late winter when this was done and the band area healed over quickly.

For the record, I would never consider banding an adult sheep tail in warm weather. It only takes a couple of warm days for fly strike to become an issue. That has to be the worst thing ever!

Cheryl in WV
http://www.paintedrockfarm.com
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com
Visit the ETSY store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/paintedrockfarm

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)