[Jacob-list] Wool as Mulch

tim koenig timkoenig5 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 17:22:31 EDT 2010

It works wonderfully well. I've been using skirtings, bad fleece,
spoiled hides and even just plain excess wool that seemed too old, for
many years.
I mainly use it around trees and large perrenial shrubs, but also to
smother out really persistant weeds. I keep the wool about a foot
away from the trunks so as not to make trunk girdling TOO easy for the
voles. Use a thick layer of wool, or whole spoiled (unsalted!) hides
with the skin toward the ground.
The wool mats down with the rain and snow and the water goes right
through. The only weeds I've ever had grow through were Canada thistle
and Quack grass. They were very weak and easy to pull though.
The wool rots down VERY slowly, lasts up to five years here, and none
of the local critters like to dig through it.

Happy mulching