[Jacob-list] black face criteria

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 07:38:58 EST 2010

We have the opportunity to do genetics testing on our ewe flock via a WV program thru USDA. This testing would be for the condon 171 gene for scrapie susceptibility. We already test 10 rams each year so our ram flock is pretty much 'covered'. In testing the ewe flock, it would be at no cost to us (saving $12/head) PROVIDED we can provide information our flock meeting the 'black faced' sheep definition.

Are Jacobs actually 'classified' somewhere as being black faced? Or has anyone else been able to test their Jacob flock under this definition via USDA or another state program? I recall the discussions of Jacobs being predominantly black with white spots, although it is visually expressed just the opposite (my paraphrase of course).

I would like to take advantage of this program if at all possible but am needing evidence to support Jacobs meeting the requirement. I do realize that typically black faced sheep are defined as mostly Suffolk's (and their crosses) among a few other breeds. Anyone out there know where to find other info quickly? The program expires 3/31 so time is of the essence. I have Googled 'black faced sheep' with pages upon pages of data to sort thru. Being in the middle of lambing season really doesn't allow for too much research so I thought I might pose the question to the list in the hope someone else may have an answer or can direct me accordingly.

Thanks!...Off to the barn....

Cheryl Terrano
http://www.paintedrockfarm.com
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com
Visit the ETSY store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/paintedrockfarm

God longs to bring us to the place where we ache so much with His heart that to do nothing is simply no longer an option. (MATT REDMAN, The Unquenchable Worshipper)

We will live as strangers and pilgrims on this earth, with sacrifice, commitment, tears and fasting, and touch the lost world with our lifestyle and commitment. (KP YOHANNAN, Founder, GOSPEL FOR ASIA)

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level).

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)