[Jacob-list] soil

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 08:42:57 EST 2010

I agree with you guys that conventional tillage, especially if done incorrectly or at the wrong time can be scary. Here in Colorado, the land of 12 inches annual rainfall it can be doubly scary when our spring winds roll off the mountains and across the front range.

With that said, done correctly, to provide an appropriate seed bed, conventional tillage can be wonderful... and I have seen great success in conventional tillage out here with cover/nurse crops, and then following behind the nurse crop with a grass seed planted into the stubble using a double disk opening no till drill with shaker/agitator box.

Coming in with alfalfa can be a curious situation.. As an agent, I would be asking questions about what the current ground cover is, what weed control methods are available and have been used, and what the plan is for this pasture.

Depending on soil type, a hard dry ground like we have here in much of the Rocky Mountain west, may laugh at your tractor and implements. Many of our small farms and small acreage's hire out tillage to be done by those with a 40hp+ tractor with lost of downward pressure on the implements.

The fact you have access to irrigation is a good thing and takes out a good bit of the issues around this..

But to me, it boils down to getting local advice....

Be ready with answers for soil type and testing information (Never Guess... Soil Test!) How many acres you plan to put in, and what your water allocation for irrigation is ( I think ID is a first right state when it comes to water law)

Good luck, And Kudos to you for improving your land!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch