[Jacob-list] rejected twin

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 08:20:07 EST 2010

While I fully understand that many of you would cull this ewe and her off spring.. let me add this.. This ewes mother, and her twin Both successfully raised triplets, a full sister of this ewe also took on a grafted lamb when I lost a ewe. So I don't think that genetics are in play here.

While I love this breed, I wont just let a newborn starve because they are primitive. While the breed itself is primitive, these sheep we are raising are domesticated. I also own elk... I would not abandon an elk calf that is motherless to succumb to the elements and starvation, and I would hardly consider them more domesticated than my Jacobs . When we domesticate an animal, I strongly feel we have an obligation to provide care. And while I understand your theory of natural culling, and I respect your choice to do so, I don't frown upon someone who raises a bottle lamb or the like.

The primitiveness and mothering abilities are a few of the things that brought me to this breed, I have had overly managed sheep in the past, and also had a breed, that while not primitive, had strong mothering instincts and abilities (Cheviot)

Please remember that we come to this list for advice and help, and all advice is welcome.... Please don't take a judgmental approach. I'm pretty thick skinned about all of this. I was raised in commercial agriculture, and have the education that follows that premise (I am an Extension Agent with Colorado State), but I am also wise enough to recognize that Jacobs are my hobby, not my income, and in that hobby, part of that aspect is enjoying it. Watching a lamb starve to death on principle is not my idea of a good time.

Maybe O am oversensitive this early morning.. I have been fretting about this lamb, as well as my new LGD, a 2 yo Komondor, that is not adapting well to his new home, and not eating.. so if I am being a bit sensitive, I do apologize

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch