[Jacob-list] soil

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Wed Mar 3 07:19:19 EST 2010

Sounds to me, Neil, like we threw the baby out with the bathwater; that is, using organic matter to improve the soil, sounds a good thing; I agree that tilling is not good. But "modern" farming gave up the organic matter in favor of chemical fertilizers. Now, we want to make sure we stop the tilling, but keep the organic matter! At least, that's the way we've decided is best up here in Vermont, which is NOT frigid this year, which worries me a great deal. To have temps of 48 in early March is unheard of; we've only had about 10 days below 20 degrees this year, I think...instead of six to eight weeks of it. It means I might even have to worm the sheep this Spring! Generally, since the ground is frozen all winter, and right up to the time they go out on pasture, I don't much worry about such things...It is seldom needed...
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.