[Jacob-list] Renewing Pastures

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Mar 3 02:10:21 EST 2010

I have an older ewe
That has been a great mom each year to her single lamb but last year
she had twins she seemed to take them both, but after a few days we
noticed she was being mean to one of the lambs. We were not sure what
happened and held her for the lamb to nurse at first and eventually
added a supplemental bottle a few times per day. The lamb mugged milk
from his mom and others but wanted a bottle. My rule is if they want a
bottle when they are still with mom then they probably NEED a bottle!

Fast forward to this year I was in the barn when she deliverd and made
sure she took both lambs at birth. She cleaned and nursed the pair for
the first36 hours now she is butting and kicking away the little ewe
lamb when she tries to nurse. The ewe is still in a jug and sleeps with
her ram lamb at the other end of the pen. I offered the ewe lamb a
bottle at 5 PM and she took all 4 ounces she was not interested in a
bottle at 10PM but did nurse mom when I held the ewe.

Any advice? I won't be culling her but may retire her. She has
outproduced her self every year. This is the first ewe lamb she has
had.