[Jacob-list] Baking Soda

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 17:23:05 EDT 2010

>I just recently subscribed to Jacob-list and was wondering why individuals

>were discussing feeding baking soda to their Jacob Sheep. Is it a

>preventative or cure for some type of illness?

>Thank you.

>Jeannette

==========
Thanks for asking before feeding it. We use it as a cure, I only needed it
once in the last 13 years, I mean, my sheep (a ewe) needed it only once, I
haven't used it myself. It is used to treat bloat. Mix baking soda,
water, mineral oil. Mineral oil protects the innards from the strong
chemical reaction of the baking soda and rumen acid. Water dilutes the
solution. Works great! If I ever run out of Alka-seltzer, Tums, or
Rolaids, I might try it myself! Keep baking soda, mineral oil handy, in
case it is needed. Bloat symptoms: a crying, yelling ewe in pain with one
side of the ewe (stomach area) larger than the other side. The larger side
is a distended rumen due to all the gas buildup. I forgot what side the
rumen is on... right or left (?). Treat the animal and walk her/him around
awhile.

I don't know about giving it as a preventative. Some people might use it
regularly, diluted in water. It usually isn't necessary on a forage based
diet. If an animal bloats, the symptoms are obvious.

Cathy
(burp)
Moscow, Idaho