[Jacob-list] Fiber: black/white/fading/freckles/ticking

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Thu Jul 15 18:44:18 EDT 2010

Fred brings up something that I really hadn't thought about.
I'm familiar with the effects of copper on holding color. It's important
for black rabbits if you want to keep a good deep black, so I watched it
when I had show rabbits.
But, I've never given a thought at all to iron. Our previous farm was
just two miles away as the crow flies and we had a well. The water there
was very high in iron. Our well was better than others in the
neighborhood, but still pretty high. The people up the hill had to
filter their well water so they could drink it. We get our water here
from a spring at the top of the hill, so not sure if it's also high in
iron. Next time I'm in town, I'll ask our friend at the health
department about it.
I don't plan to move or buy bottled water for my flock :-)

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>