[Jacob-list] meat lambs

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Jul 4 19:31:36 EDT 2010

We've eaten many 3 year old rams. The taste is milder than venison and
better tasting than store bought lamb (which I don't care for) and not
very different from yearling rams. When we butcher an older ram, I
don't just have it all ground and cook it in ways to cover up the taste.
I do roasts, chops and steaks, which I cook to medium-rare. No need to
simmer for hours in a heavily spiced sauce to tenderize and flavor.

When we first got Jacobs, we still had some meat sheep and crossed the
Jacob ram on the meat ewes and butchered some offspring. The lambs were
bigger at an earlier age. Carcass weight was more than straight Jacobs
and came out at a higher carcass/live weight ratio, but there was more
fat to trim off. Not that much more marbling if I remember correctly
(it's been 15 years). Taste was good on the crosses. My meat sheep ate
so much more than the Jacobs, the Jacob butcher lambs, despite being
smaller, probably came out to be more economical for my small farm.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>