[Jacob-list] Jacob Market Lamb Weigh in

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 13:15:04 EDT 2010

Just thought I would update everyone...

County fair is about 40 days away, and the Jacob Market Lambs are doing well!

We are still feeding a high % hay diet

We are within 12 lbs of market weight with the heavier lambs, and about 20 lbs off with the lighter lambs.(they wont make market wt or be able to sell but will show as lightweights)

Still plugging away! The kiddo has themall (6 lambs) halter broke and tame.

I will be sure to get some photos....

I wish we had more time, as they have to be 100 lbs to make weight for the Carcass class .... and that is just out of the question, but I would have LOVED to see how the Jacobs would have cut and classified compared to the blackface sheep.

This is fun, and I am enjoying it.. I guess there are SOME perks to being the Extension agent.

We are going to look at lowering the weight minimum to 75 for Jacobs next year (we are under the Southdown rules this year)

I have no delusions of Jacobs being mainstream meat animals.. Just having fun with a byproduct (meat) of our breed

I cant say I am too excited to see them slick shorn........But it will be fun to see all those horns in the ring!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, Co