[Jacob-list] colors you can get with cross breeding

avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Wed Jan 6 07:40:18 EST 2010

Last year in the interest of producing some JacobX mule ewes, we bred all
the jacobs to a blue-faced Leicester (BFL) ram. This ram carries what
they call the "english blue" pattern. I expected black lambs with a few
white markings, of which there were a few. However, we also got a pure
white ewe lamb, two ram lambs that were katmoget (black belly, black legs,
silver white body and black stripes on face and black ears and muzzle).
One ram lamb was also what in Shetlands is called iset and two of the
alleged black ewe lambs have turned out to be dark brown when you part the
wool. The fleeces are absolutely beautiful (soft, long, shiny, crimpy).
I don't know if it was a factor, but the unexpected colors came from ewes
that carry lilac in their background. Elaina