[Jacob-list] Need any medical help on ram

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Sun Jan 3 20:50:38 EST 2010

On Jan 3, 2010, at 8:28 PM, Marguerite Van Beek wrote:

> I don't know how much damage was done by the cold and the lean to

> on his body.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet.

Do you have any rescue remedy? It's a Bach flower remedy good for
shock and trauma. I have kept a spray bottle on hand for myself and
for the horses, have not tried it on sheep.

If your ram is eating, peeing, and pooping, and no bones are broken
and fever stays within normal limits, he may just come out of it.
Internal injuries I think would show up within 48 hours in terms of
fever, lack of interest in eating, lack of elimination. I suppose if
he's been outside, you might be careful of overheating if you've got
him indoors.

A good brisk rubbing might give you more info as well. If it really
bothers him -- due to pain or simply unfamiliar and unwanted contact
and stimulation, he might be inclined to try to get away, which in
this case, would at least tell you that he *can* move. Shock and
(quickly) 'learned helplessness' make be factors if it's not about
injuries.

Most importantly, I think every person has the right to follow their
urges and instincts regarding what care and how much care to give
their own ailing animal.

Good luck with this!

Lasell J Bartlett MSW

"It's our nature to get along."