[Jacob-list] feeding pregnant ewes

Avillion Farm avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Fri Dec 31 15:02:32 EST 2010

Hi Laura,

We aren’t too far away from you (in Efland, NC). The Jacob sheep are really my husbands.
I have Shetlands, but I really like the Jacobs. Ours are due any time and we’ve never really
done anything too different about feeding them other than to put in an Energilass tub during the
last 4 weeks of pregnancy and first 6 weeks of lactation. Basically this allows them to supplement
at will during a time when they can’t fit in as much hay (late pregnancy) or have a higher demand
(lactation). He’s never gone heavy on the grain with them – no more than a third of a pound per day if they
are late pregnant/early lactation and if pasture is minimal. On good pasture, they really need no grain at
all.

In answer to your other question, I do not know anyone in NC that finds it necessary to vaccinate for anything
other than tetanus and enterotoxemia. However, I really only know other wool sheep growers well.

Cheers, Elaina

P.S. I have bookmarked you blog; I just love the little needle felted jacob ewe. Do you sell them?