[Jacob-list] Bobcat!

Brenda brenda at brenalanfarm.com
Tue Aug 31 12:16:42 EDT 2010

The trapper here said there is no fence a cougar can't go over and a coyote can't go under. His advice was to persuade the predator that it would be safer or easier to catch a bunny or a fawn. I am sure the same goes for your bobcat. The trappers work for the USDA, and are not allowed to harm animals that are not preying on livestock or threatening people. But the minute you have a kill, they CAN act. Get a phone number now and tell them you have concerns so they'll be ready to back you up. Your trapper might come and walk the property with you and make suggestions, like removing vegetation near your fence so they can't sneak in as easily. Our trapper has a keen sense of where the predator approaches are, so the more you can make that area intimidating the better your odds it will just go around your property. A guard animal e.g. llama might be helpful. If you DO have a kill, try to get the trapper out right away. If the trapper can't get there, take lots of pics of the kill site, then try to get the carcass in a freezer for later exam. The fact that you have seen bobcats doesn't eliminate the need to rule out a different perpetrator such as dogs. Owners of dogs that kill livestock have big liability, although collecting on it can be difficult.

Brenda