[Jacob-list] washable sheepskins

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Thu Aug 5 17:52:59 EDT 2010

I got a call from the new owner of Lonestar Tanning while I was over
feeding sheep next door. Dave took the message. I got back too late to
return the call, but will call tomorrow.
The new owner is trying to catch up with all the backlog and sort out
what hides are still worth working with. Dave asked him about the
washable sheepskins and he said the necessary chemical is not longer
legal to import to the US. I believe that would be chrome, but am not
sure. So once the supply of chrome (or whatever it is) is gone, there
will be no more washable sheepskin tanning done in the US. I'll call the
owner tomorrow and get more info, but wonder if anyone else has heard this?

I sent two fleeces to a tannery in Greenville, SC a couple of months
ago. He said he didn't really want to do washable pelts, as that was a
chrome a process, but he would do a couple for me.

I'm not sure there would be much of a market for non-washable
sheepskins. Any thoughts?

Linda
--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>