[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Apr 7 06:55:24 EDT 2010

I have noticed similar color spots on black sheep through the years. We had a Corriedale a few years back that had a beautiful gold oval on her side. I think that Dan is correct in seeing this as a post-conception mutation of an embryonic cell, the daughters of which went on to form a spot in which some portion of the black was obscured. This likely has nothing to do with lilac. I doubt that color is carried on the X chromosome in sheep as it is in cats. I will say though, that there are some old reports of tri-color Finnsheep.

Our lilacs have been non-fading, for the most part, just like the black and whites. I think this is a matter of selection. Lilacs were probably not selected as vigorously for fading.

Neal