[Jacob-list] skulls and SUED

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 23:52:34 EDT 2009

With the RBST and so many breed groups willing to pursue the issue that
imperils the Park sheep that were the subject of Elwes work in 1913, I would
see if the Royal Agriculture Society of England would add some muscle on
behalf of the RBST, add in a call to Charles Bassett at the ALBC here in the
States and see if the case can be made to put it on the agenda of Dr.
Montgomery, the worlds leading geneticist on horns and the sheep genome ... he
may still be at Otago University in New Zealand.

He did the work to find the horn gene on OV0010 and did some work on the
hornless gene and polled gene. He just might yield under the weight of a
number of breed conservationists and their prestige and be personally
concerned about the loss of multiple breed genetics to resurrect his work on
chromosome 10 for polycerates, what gene is there, how it operates and perhaps
how close the ovine eyelid gene is to the polycerate horn gene ... And
there is a human element: locations of human genes that cause human eyelid
maladies. There are connections yet to be found.

In search of funding to support such a project, look to donations from
breed associations, agriculture department, county and local people that have
any connection to sheep/wool/ city or county. Some research that we are
directly involved in is being funded by the National Institute of Health,
several hospitals and universities and even a twelve year old boy who has
collected over US$7,500. Funding, even in a bad economy can be found.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.
Lucas, TX 75002
972-727-0900

In a message dated 9/27/2009 9:11:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,