[Jacob-list] skulls and SUED

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 01:00:04 EDT 2009

I had to go to the garage to find two names; Larry Alderson and Betty
Henson. They did some studies on SUED that have been published in the ARK, p.
125-127 which covers SUED in several British breeds; Manx, Hebridean and
Jacob. Classification of the severity of SUED and incidence are presented in
tables with some statistical t tests.

The gravity of the SUED defect in Jacobs in the US and Britian are graded
differently but the defect seems to have a continuum. The defect is
relatively easy to detect by observing the eyelid but the orbit, the bony
structure surrounding the eye is often claimed to be the source of the problem
despite the intricasies of the complete eye structure; tissue, muscle and
bone. Even on a normal eye, the orbit may have a small notch (which can be
felt by touch) through which the orbital nerves and blood vessels pass. It
seems that the notch is palpably larger with SUED at the graver levels; but
why?

The speculation on the cause remains confused: the bone or tissue
arguments. It is my sense that the speculation in the US is heavily on the bone
side. The linkage is the multiple horns cause the orbit to split and
therefore the eyelid is split. The orbit roof is almost all frontal bone; a small
part of the roof is the sphenoid bone, part of the sinus is also
intersecting in the area of the orbit; vessels move through the sinus and horns.
Some present the cause as dependent on the location of the lateral horns,
others that it occurs with split fused horns. The linkage seems to explain the
cause in terms of splits cause splits. However, linkage may not be the
cause. The eyelid has little connective tissue between the skin and muscle
and to any underlying bone structure. Could it be that the problem we see, a
malformation of the upper tarsal muscle of the eyelid is not caused by but
another manifestation of a problem since the eyelid is not directly
connected to the suprorbital fissure?

You might contact the polycerate breed associations in Scotland, England
and Ireland and see if, as a group, they may be willing to collaborate on a
project to identify the cause and move the ball down the field beyond a
recessive defect for all polycerate breeds. I would knock on a door at
Glasgow University.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.
Lucas, TX 75002

972-727-0900

In a message dated 9/19/2009 5:42:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,